RI ENREGAT is focused on the research in the area of energetics, namely on the interdisciplinary research of energy and material recovery of waste at the simultaneous minimization of negative impact on the environment, especially of gaseous contaminants.
Research focus of ENREGAT research infrastructure
The main research topics are:
Research of waste incineration process
- Optimization of device performance parameters,
- increasing the efficiency of combustion processes within simultaneous reduction of negative impacts on the external environment,
- incineration of waste with specific parameters (high humidity, high calorific value, content of risky components),
- improvement of the corrosion resistance of refractory materials,
- material utilization of slag and ash.
Research and optimization of energy and materials waste recovery by pyrolysis
- Pyrolysis, catalytic pyrolysis and processing of wastes (polymers, biomass, solid organic hazardous waste with a high content of noble metals, waste from the electrical industry, including flame retardants) by plasma generated by the microwave electromagnetic radiation and scale up of the process,
- catalytic cracking of tar with the purpose of syngas refinement,
- research of the possibilities of pyrolysis products (gaseous, liquid, solid) utilization.
Research of anaerobic digestion
- Conversion of a biowaste (e.g. agricultural and food biowaste, undersize fraction of a municipal solid waste) to biogas and digestate by dry or wet digestion in (semi) continuous regime,
- the use of applied microbiology to perform the pre-treatment of raw material for lignocellulose degradation,
- physical modelling, process controlling and scale up.
Research and optimization of technologies for gas treatment
- Reduction of greenhouse gases (N2O, CO2) emission by catalysis and photocatalysis,
- photocatalytic reduction of CO2 to useful products (CH4, methanol),
abatement of other pollutants (NOx, VOCs, NH3, CO) by catalysis, photocatalysis and adsorption,
- tailored preparation and modification of the materials in desired forms (grains, thin films, monoliths, foams) by conventional and unconventional methods for catalysis, photocatalysis and adsorption,
- mutual correlation of the physico-chemical properties of materials and their efficiency for pollutant removal, stability and selectivity,
- physical and mathematical modelling from micro- to macro scale, i.e. structure, mechanisms and kinetics, transport phenomena, equipment.